HAMPSTHWAITE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"HAMPSTHWAITE, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the lower division of the wapentake of Claro, one mile and a half s.w. by w. from Ripley. The parish church is dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket : the living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the court for the honour of Knaresborough. The parish contained in 1831, 2,589 inhabitants, and the township 445 of that number.
Please see Ripley Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish (included with Ripley)."
"DARLEY, is a village, and, with Menwith, forms a township, in the parish of Hampsthwaite, and in the same division and riding as Dacre, about 5 miles west from Ripley, pleasantly situated on the Nidd; the stream of which is employed in working the machinery of several mills for spinning flax and grinding corn: besides which branches, that of linen weaving is carried on to some extent, in the village and neighbourhood. The land around here, which is hilly and fertile, is chiefly employed for grazing. The township contained, at the last census, 742 inhabitants.
Please see Ripon Parish (under Dacre) for the 1834 trades directory for this township."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]