MENWITH, in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 5 miles from Pateley Bridge, 6½ from Ripley, 11½ from Knaresborough. Pop. including Darley, 648, which being united, form a township.
At Menwith Hill is a School, called Hookstone's School, founded in 1748, by Francis Day, Esq. and endowed by him with lands at Hampsthwaite, (£18.) Threshfield, and Skirethornes, (£22.) and Starbotton, £7. per annum. The School premises consist of a school room and turf House, erected upon the waste, with about half an acre of land adjoining. The Master's salary, out of rents, is £36. per annum, for which he teaches the poor of Menwith Hill, Thornethwaite with Padside, and Darley, likewise the tenants, holding land under the relations of the founder. --Commissioners' Report.