RAKES, or WREAKS, a hamlet in the township of Birstwith, and parish of Hampsthwaite; 3½ miles from Ripley, 8½ from Knaresborough.
Mrs. Alice Shepherd, by Will, dated June 14, 1806, directed that £1000. stock, navy five per cent. be transferred, after her death, to Trustees therein named, the interest of which to be paid to the minister and churchwardens of Pateley Bridge, for the purpose of educating and clothing twenty poor children of the chapelry of Pateley Bridge, by the master of Rakes School. Dr. William Craven, by Indenture, dated August 24, 1812, gave £800. navy five per cent. stock to the same, for the like purpose, and repairing the school. A new School house was built in 1816, for which purpose, the Archbishop of York granted a piece of ground upon the waste. The master's salary, who also teaches a Sunday School, is twenty eight guineas, and about thirty guineas is expended in clothing. --Commis. Report.