Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Hampsthwaite:

hide
Hide
Hide


"BIRSTWITH, in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 3 miles SW. of Ripley, 8 from Knaresborough. Pop. 621."


"DARLEY, in the township of Menwith with Darley, and parish of Hampsthwaite, liberty of Knaresborough; 4 miles W. of Ripley; 8 from Ripon, 9 from Knaresborough. Pop. included in Menwith."


"FELLISCLIFFE, in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 4 miles SW. of Ripley, 7 from Knaresborough. Pop. 382."


"HEW GREEN, scattered houses in the township of Birstwith, and parish of Hampsthwaite; 3½ miles W. of Ripley."


"HOLME, in the parish of Hampsthwaite, and wapentake of Claro; 4 miles W. of Ripley."


"KETTLESING, a hamlet in the township of Felliscliffe, and parish of Hampsthwaite; 5½ miles from Ripley, 8½ from Knaresborough."


"KETTLESING HEAD, a hamlet in the township of Felliscliffe, and parish of Hampsthwaite; 2½ miles from Hopper lane Inn."


"MENWITH, in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 5 miles from Pateley Bridge, 6½ from Ripley, 11½ from Knaresborough. Pop. including Darley, 648, which being united, form a township." (There is further information for Menwith).


"PADSIDE, in the township of Hampsthwaite with Padside, and parish of Hampsthwaite, lower-division of Claro; 4½ miles S. of Pateley Bridge, 6½ from Ripley. Pop. included in Hampsthwaite."


"RAKES, or WREAKS, a hamlet in the township of Birstwith, and parish of Hampsthwaite; 3½ miles from Ripley, 8½ from Knaresborough." (There is further information for Rakes).


"SWARCLIFFE, a district, in the township of Birstwith, and parish of Hampsthwaite, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; (Swarcliffe Hall, the seat of ---- Greenwood, Esq,) 3½ miles from Ripley, 8½ from Knaresborough."


"THORNTHWAITE, in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower-division of Claro; 5 miles S. of Pateley Bridge, 6 from Ripley, 10 from Otley. Pop. including Padside 309, which being united form a township. The Church is a perpetual curacy under Hampsthwaite, value p.r. £68. 5s. 0d."


"WEST SYKE GREEN, 2 or 3h. in the township of Felliscliffe, and parish of Hampsthwaite; 4 miles from Ripley.

Here is a Free School, founded in 1711, by John Richmond, by Will, dated Sept. 11, 1711. It is endowed with nineteen and a half acres of land, at West Syke Green, for the education of boys, whose parents reside in Felliscliffe and Birstwith, in English, Latin, Writing, and Arithmetic. Master's Salary, £14. per annum. --Commis. Report."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]