HANDSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"HANDSWORTH, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, and partly in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Sheffield, containing 2173 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £ 12. 4. 7., in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Chancellor in the Cathedral Church of York. The Duke of Norfolk was patron in 1801. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A school was erected by subscription about 1778, in which ten children are taught free; there is also a dwelling- house for the master, who receives £20 a year arising from a bequest of £200 by the Rev. Francis Lockier, D.D., in 1734, and a similar sum, the gift of Mrs. Howard, widow of the late rector."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]