HANDSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HANDSWORTH, a parish, partly within the liberty of St. Peter's, and partly in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 2 miles W. of the Woodhouse station of the North Midland railway, and 5 S.E. of Sheffield, its post town. The parish, which is considerable, contains the hamlets of Gleadless, Handsworth, Intake, Richmond, and Woodhouse. The inhabitants are principally employed in the collieries and stone quarries, and in the manufacture of scissors. Matting is carried on to a large extent. The commons were enclosed in 1805, and have been converted into good arable land. The substratum abounds in mineral wealth. The tithes have been commuted for corn rents. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Gleadless, in the diocese of York, value £589. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with tower and spire, and has recently been repaired. The register dates from 1562. There is a chapel-of-ease at Gleadless. The parochial charities produce £20 per annum, which go to the support of the school. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship. The principal residence is Woodthorpe Hall. The old seat of the earls of Shrewsbury, built by George, the sixth earl, was destroyed during the civil war of Charles I., and is now a farmhouse. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor."
"GLEADLESS, a hamlet and constablewick in the parish of Handsworth, wapentake of South Strafford, West Riding of county York, 3 miles S.E. of Sheffield. The people are mostly employed in the manufacture of table cutlery, and in the coal-pits. There is a chapel-of-ease the living of which is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Handworth. The Independents have a chapel, and there is a National school."
"INTAKE, a hamlet in the parish of Handsworth, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Sheffield."
"RICHMOND, a hamlet in the parish of Handsworth, West Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Sheffield."
"WOODHOUSE, a village and constablewick in the parish of Handsworth, wapentake of South Strafford, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Sheffield, and 1 mile from the Woodhouse station of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. It is situated near the river Rother. There are collieries and saw-mills."
"WOODHOUSE MILLS, a hamlet in the parish of Handsworth, West Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Handsworth, and 9½ S.E. of Sheffield. It is a station on the Midland railway."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013