Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HAREWOOD. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 12,180 acres. Skirack wapentake, L. D *1. -Population, 2,463 *2 ; Church-room, 1,000 *3; Net value, £447. -The Church was formerly in the patronage of the lords of the manor. It was given to the Priory of Bolton, by Sir John de Insula, Lord of Rugemont, in 1353, and appropriated thereto, and a Vicarage was ordained, 2 Id. Mart. A.D. 1353.
See Torre's MS., where is also a notice of an ordination by Abp. Walter Grey, who directed certain payments to be made to the Chapel of the Holy Angels at York.
The parishioners and Mrs. Wheler are alternately the patrons. Impropriator, the Earl of Harewood.
In Pope Nicholas's Taxation, the Church of Harewood is valued at £67. 13s. 4d. per annum. The value of the Vicarage in the King's books is £14. 1s. 10d. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 322, the Vicarage is valued at £16. 14s. 4d. " The Earl of Strafford then had the advowsons, and was also impropriator of the Rectory, being of great value," say the Commissioners. They recommended East Keswick and half of Wyke to be united to Bardsey.
The Vicarage was augmented in 1724 with £200 to meet benefaction from Lady Elizabeth Hastings, of tithes of the value of £37 per annum.
There were six canterists of this Church.
Inclosure Acts were passed in the 30th Geo. III. and the 37th Geo. III.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
Torre gives the inscriptions and drawings of the monuments. He also gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
25th October 1782, faculty to remove the font, and make other alterations.
28th November 1813, an additional burial-ground was consecrated.
The parish of Harewood is partly in Upper Claro wapentake, but the greater part is in Upper Skirack wapentake.
The Register books commence in 1614. There is a chasm from 1647 to 1653.
Harewood is in the Diocese of York, but wills of persons dying within the townships of Dunkeswick and Weeton, were formerly proved in the Court of the Forest of Knaresborough, but such jurisdiction does not appear to have been lately exercised.
Benefaction fund. Interest of £80.
Bridgett Mallorie's gift, in 1622. Interest of £5.
James Flesher's gift, in 1625. Rent of 6a. 3r. of land.
Thomas Havison's charity. Rent of house and garth.
Anthony Sawdrie's charity, in 1631. Rent of 5a. 3r. 30p. of land, for apprenticing poor children, and gifts of grey cloth to the poor.
William Wade's charity. Rent of 5a. 32p. of land to the poor of Weeton.
Robert Midgley's dole. Rent charge of £1 per annum, towards apprenticing poor children of Weeton and Dunkeswick.
Dawson's charity. Vid. General Charities. -Vid. 15th Report, page 658.
Post town: Wetherby.
Vid. Torre's MS. page 171. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. pages 107 and 314. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 164. Bray's Tour, page 263. Hargrove's Knaresbro', page 179. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 201.
*1 Viz. Alwoodley, 142; Dunkeswick, 261; Harewood, 894 ; East Keswick, 365 ; Weardley, 169; Weeton, 322; Wighill, 168; Wike, 142. (The township of Wike extends into Bardsey parish.) *2 In 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at 2,331.
*3 According to the return of 1818. In 1834, the accommodation was returned as sufficient.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.