"HARTHILL, (or Harthill with Woodall) a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 10 miles S. of Rotherham, 6 W. of Worksop, its post town, and 1½ mile from Kiveton Park station of the Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway. It is situated near the Chesterfield canal, which has a reservoir in this parish. There are limestone and gritstone quarries, from which last above 40,000 whetstones are annually manufactured. The parish, which is bounded on the S. by Derbyshire, contains the hamlet of Woodall. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £620. The church, dedicated to All Hallows, is an ancient stone building of Norman origin, but has recently been repaired and beautified. It has a square embattled tower, and contains the mortuary chapel of the Leeds family, with a monument to Thomas, first Duke of Leeds. The register dates from 1589. The parochial charities produce £3 10s. per annum, distributed to the poor on St. Thomas's Day. There is a National school for children of both sexes, with an endowment of £16 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Duke of Leeds is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There is an annual fair for the hire of domestic and farm servants."
"WOODALL, a township in the parish of Harthill, wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 10 miles S.E. of Sheffield, and 8 S.E. of Rotherham."