HATFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"HATFIELD, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the same wapentake as Thorne, three miles s.s.w. of that town. It is part of the manor of Thorne, for which courts leet are held here at Ladyday and Michaelmas, and so much of the court baron is preserved as enables the steward to hold a court for the recovery of small debts ; this court is held every three weeks. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, and a chapel for independents. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Lord Deerhurst. The parish contained, in 1831, 3,000 inhabitants, and the township 2,148 of that number.
Please see Thorne Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish (under Thorne)."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]