HEMSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"HEMSWORTH, is a parish in the wapentake of Staincross, between three and four miles from Royston. It is chiefly to be noticed for its hospital and grammar school; the former was founded by Robert Holgate, a native of the place. He was, first, Bishop of Landaff, and afterwards made Archbishop of York, by Henry 8th, but was deprived of his see by Mary for having contracted marriage. By his will, dated 26th April, 1555, he left estates for founding a hospital, for one master, ten brethren, and the like number of sisters; letters patent for its incorporation were obtained, dated 17th March 1557. The estates are considerable, and situate in the three ridings of the county: the master's share is 1-5th of the revenue, and the remainder equally divided between the ten brethren and sisters. The electors to the mastership and to the objects of this charity are seven, viz. the rector, two churchwardens, and four of the " Honestissimi Homines " of Hemsworth: the Rev. C.E. Armstrong, M.A. of Worcester college, Oxford, is the present master. The grammar school was founded in or about the last year of Henry 8th, by the above mentioned prelate. The presentation rests in the Archbishop of York, and in lapse of his nomination to the dean and chapter. The present reserved rental is about 150. besides incidental fines. The latin, Greek and Hebrew languages, only, are taught free, but a quarterage is charged for English, writing and arithmetic: the present master is the Rev. J.B. Graham. The places of worship are, the parish church, dedicated to St. Helen, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The parish contained, at the last census, 937 inhabitants.
Please see Royston Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]