HEMSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"HEMSWORTH, a parish in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.W. from Pontefract, containing 963 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of-York, rated in the king's books at £20. 1. 0. W. Wrightson, Esq. was patron in 1790. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is principally in the later style of English architecture, with decorated windows at the east end. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was founded about 1548, by Robert Holgate, Archbishop of York, under letters patent of Henry VIII. In the reign of Edward VI., the same archbishop confirmed the foundation and ordinances to John Thurlston; then master, and his successors; the annual income is about £300, which is received by the present master, who does not perform any duty for it: about sixty scholars are instructed in English by an usher, on paying quarterage. In 1813, Robert Duffin, Esq. bequeathed £ 50, and Mr. Trant £100, for the support of Sunday schools; the dividends of £203. 7. 3., three per cent, consols, are applied according to the direction of the benefactors."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]