HEMSWORTH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HEMSWORTH, a parish in the wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Pontefract, its post town, 7 N.E. of Barnsley, and 4½ from the Cudworth station on the North Midland railway. The village, which is considerable, and well built, is situated on rising ground. The parish contains the hamlet of Little Hemsworth. Stone is quarried here, of an excellent quality. There are tile and brick works, and a steam corn-mill. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent under an Act of Enclosure in 1803. Hemsworth is a meet for the Badsworth hounds. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £880. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient edifice, with a square tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments, among which are those of the Wrightson families. The charities produce about £2,300 per annum, of which £170 goes to the free grammar school, and 22,127 to the hospital for 20 poor brethren and sisters. The hospital was founded in 1555 by Robert Holgate, Archbishop of York, who also founded the grammar school in 1546. There is a National school for both sexes, also Sunday-schools. A reading institution has been lately erected for the working classes by the generosity of William Henry Leatham, who resides at Hemsworth Hall, formerly the seat and birth-place of the statesman, the Right Hon. Sir Charles Wood. Newstead Hall, with that of Hemsworth, are the principal residences."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013