[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HICKLETON, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the residence of Francis Hawksworth, Esq.) 6 miles from Doncaster, 9½ from Barnsley, 10 from Rotherham, 40 from York. Pop. 153. The church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Dennis, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. !£100. Patron, Godfrey Wentworth Wentworth, Esq."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Wilfrid's Church, Hickleton - view 1.
- St. Wilfrid's Church, Hickleton - view 2.
- Transcript of the entry for Hickleton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Hickleton.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hickleton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE480053 (Lat/Lon: 53.542157, -1.277141), Hickleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.