The Ancient Parish of HIGH HOYLAND
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"HIGH HOYLAND, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles N. of Penistone, 6½ from Barnsley, 9 from Wakefield, 37 from York. Pop. 268. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, in two medieties, each, ~£5. 3s. 4d. Patrons, Colonel and Mrs. Beaumont.
Anciently these two medieties had separate Patrons, and separate Rectors each Incumbent having distinct parsonage Houses, glebes, tithes, &c. and performed the duty alternately. Col. and Mrs. Beaumont having purchased the advowson of the second mediety of the Earl of Mexborough, in 1811, there has been but one Incumbent since."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Bilham Grange
- Bretton Dykes
- Clayton West
- Lower Cumberworth
- Park Gate
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]