[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HIGH MELTON, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; (a seat of Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq.) 4¾ miles SW. of Doncaster, 10¼ from Barnsley, 41 from York. Pop. 137. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. James, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. !£50. Patron, Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq.
In this Church is a chantry of our Lady, founded by John Melton; and in a Chapel enclosed, there are several monuments of the Fountayne family. --Hist. Doncaster."
- Transcript of the entry for High Melton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of High Melton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from High Melton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE509020 (Lat/Lon: 53.512226, -1.233918), High Melton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.