[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HOOTON PAGNELL, or Hutton Pagnall, a parish-town, in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; (the seat of St. Andrew Warde, Esq.) 5¾ miles NW. of Doncaster, 10 from Barnsley, 32 from York. Pop. 326. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to All-Saints, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, ~£5. 10s. 2½d. Patrons, the Governors of the Free Grammar School of Wakefield."
"BILHAM, in the parishes of Hooton Pagnell and Barnburgh, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberty of Tickhill; (Bilham House, the residence of the Rev. Godfrey Wright) 6 miles NW. of Doncaster, 10 from Barnsley. Pop. 74."
"BILHAM ROW, a hamlet in the township of Bilham, and parish of Hooton Pagnell, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6 miles from Doncaster."
"MOORHOUSE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Hooton Pagnell; 6 miles NW. of Doncaster, 9 from Barnsley."
"STOTFOLD, in the parish of Hooton Pagnell, lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 7 miles from Doncaster, 8½ from Barnsley. Pop. 9. The township consists only of one house."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here is a photograph of All Saints' Church, Hooton Pagnell.
- Transcript of the entry for Hooton Pagnell in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Hooton Pagnell.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hooton Pagnell to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE485081 (Lat/Lon: 53.567277, -1.269163), Hooton Pagnell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.