Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HOOTON PAGNELL.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 2,740 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N. and S. D. -Population, 425 *1; Church-room, 400; Net value, £247. -The early history of this Church is full of difficulties. Ralph Paganel is said to have given the Church to the Priory of the Holy Trinity, in York, but which grant was probably only two-thirds of the tithes. His son, William Paganel, afterwards made a grant of the Church to the Priory of Nostell. This grant seems never to have taken effect, perhaps in consequence of the opposition of the Priory of the Holy Trinity. Subsequently, William Paganel gave the Church to the Chapel of St. Mary and the Holy Angels, at York, to whom it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1411, and a decree relative thereto was made 4th Non. March 1231. By the endowment, two marks per annum are directed to be paid by the Rectors to the poor of the parish, and the Vicar is charged with the reparation of the Chancel; -though in the Nonae Rolls, page 220, the parish is stated to be in medieties between the Priory of the Holy Trinity and the Sacrist of the Chapel.

Patrons, the Governors of Charities at Wakefield.

Impropriator, S. A. Warde, Esq.

The Church is valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10. 13s. 4d., and the Vicarage at £5; the Vicarage, in the King's books, at £5. 10s. 2d.; Synodals, 10s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 483, at £25 per annum. It is added : " We annex that part of Billam, in the parish of Barmbrough, to this parish, because half thereof is already in this parish, and nearer it already by a mile."

Augmented in 1796, with £200, by lot.

" Two-thirds of the corn tithes are impropriated to Lord Raby, and one-third to Wakefield Grammar School. The tithe of hay and other things (except corn) belonging at present to the Church. Yearly value, £22, reckoning the glebe land at £10" -Notitia Parochialis, No. 970.

For the inscriptions and catalogue of Vicars, see Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 147.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1538. The first book is stated, in the official return, to be very imperfect till 1723. Mr. Hunter, on the contrary, page 147, says there is a very good parish register.

Cartwright's, alias Vi-cars's, dole. Two yearly payments of 13s. 4d. each are paid to two poor persons of this parish.

Marriott's and Hutton's Charities.

Thomas Marriott, who died in 1731, left £20 to the poor, the interest to be dealt on St. Thomas's day yearly.

Lady Elizabeth Hutton, by will, dated on or about 18th October 1674, gave £100, the interest to be applied in apprenticing children, or for the relief of the indigent inhabitants with coals. These sums were laid out in the purchase of land (quantity not stated), let, at the time of the Report, for £9 per annum.

Elizabeth Turner's gift, by will, dated 11th June 1690. Rent of six acres of land, distributed to the poor by the Vicar.

Robert Wharam's dole, in 1668. Rentcharge of 13s. 4d. per annum for two poor persons.

Thomas Worrill's dole, in 1772. Interest of £20 for educating two poor children.

John Tyes's gift, by will, dated 27th November 1806. interest of £10, to be paid yearly on St. Thomas's day to two of the poorest old men in Hooton Pagnell.

Customary dole, amount not stated, issuing out of the tithes of the parish.

Henry Worrill's gift, by will, dated 30th November 1782. Interest of £20 to the schoolmaster for instructing two poor children legally settled in the township. -Vide 18th Report, page 622.

Post town: Doncaster.

Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 140. Torre's MS., page 1,005. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 229. 335. Nonae Roll, page 220.

*1 Viz. Billham, 76; Hooton Pagnell, 340; and Stofford, 9. In 1834, the Population was returned at 350. The parish of Hooton Pagnell is partly in the south division of Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake.

From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.