HOOTON ROBERTS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"HOOTON ROBERTS, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-AND-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from Rotherham, containing 190 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £7. 11. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. Earl Fitzwilliam was patron in 1796. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is mostly in the later style of English architecture."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]