The Ancient Parish of HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Ewcross; 5½ miles N. of Settle, 16 from Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.) 19½ from Askrigg, 62 from York. Pop. 558. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Oswald (see Churches
for photograph), or Thomas a Beckett, in the deanry of Craven, value, p.r. !£55.
This parish lays in Ribblesdale, whose beauties may be said to expire at Horton; stretching along the valley about eight miles from north to south, and from the skirts of Ingleborough to the summit of Pennigent (Penyghent), in the opposite direction, it contains within its limits the source of the Ribble and the Wharfe and is enclosed between two of the most distinguished mountains in the island.
Here is a free Grammar School, founded about the year 1725, by John Armistead, gentleman, who endowed it with land and money, with which estates were purchased by the then Trustees. The present rental is £180. per annum. but is capable of increase. The school is open to the boys of the parish indefinitely, free of expense. They are admitted at any age, and may remain until they have finished their classical education. --Carlisle.
The late Rev. G. Holden, L.L.D. who held the advowson of the Church, and died Feb. 1821, in the 64th year of his age, was master of this school for forty years, during which period he educated a greater number of Clergymen for the establishment, than most men in a similar situation. He was a man of high classical and mathematical attainments. --Gents. Mag."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Beecroft Hall
- Bracken Bottom
- Cam Houses
- Ingman Lodge
- Lingill Bridge
- Nether Lodge
- New Houses
- New Inn
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]