Horton In Ribblesdale
The Ancient Parish of HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Ewcross; 5½ miles N. of Settle, 16 from Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.) 19½ from Askrigg, 62 from York. Pop. 558. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Oswald (see Churches for photograph), or Thomas a Beckett, in the deanry of Craven, value, p.r. !£55.
This parish lays in Ribblesdale, whose beauties may be said to expire at Horton; stretching along the valley about eight miles from north to south, and from the skirts of Ingleborough to the summit of Pennigent (Penyghent), in the opposite direction, it contains within its limits the source of the Ribble and the Wharfe and is enclosed between two of the most distinguished mountains in the island.
Here is a free Grammar School, founded about the year 1725, by John Armistead, gentleman, who endowed it with land and money, with which estates were purchased by the then Trustees. The present rental is £180. per annum. but is capable of increase. The school is open to the boys of the parish indefinitely, free of expense. They are admitted at any age, and may remain until they have finished their classical education. --Carlisle.
The late Rev. G. Holden, L.L.D. who held the advowson of the Church, and died Feb. 1821, in the 64th year of his age, was master of this school for forty years, during which period he educated a greater number of Clergymen for the establishment, than most men in a similar situation. He was a man of high classical and mathematical attainments. --Gents. Mag."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Transcript of the entry for Horton in Ribblesdale in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Horton in Ribblesdale.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Horton In Ribblesdale to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD804726 (Lat/Lon: 54.148846, -2.301569), Horton In Ribblesdale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Horton in Ribblesdale Local History Group was established in 1984 to research the history of the parish. (My link to this went dead with the demise of daelnet.co.uk - if you know where the site is now, please drop me a line)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.