"HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N. from Settle, containing 558 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant. The Rev. G. Holden, L.L.D., was patron in 1798. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. A free grammar school was endowed, in 1725, by John Armitshead, with land and £200 for the support of a schoolmaster: the present income is £ 160 per annum, and the average number of scholars is fifty, some of whom are taught the classics."