Hide

HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE, a parish in the W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Settle its post town, 22 N.W. of Skipton, and 26 N.E. of Lancaster. It is a small village, situated on the banks of the river Ribble, near the Pennygant and Ingleborough hills. The parish, which is very extensive, comprises the hamlets of Berkworth, Studfield, and Thornes. There are many natural caves in this parish. The inhabitants are chiefly supported by agriculture, the land being almost wholly in meadow and pasture. A blue flagstone quarry is worked. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £108. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is an ancient stone structure, with a low tower containing three bells. The register dates from the middle of the 15th century. The parochial charities produce about £220 per annum, of which £160 goes to Armitshead's free grammar school. A Sunday-school is held in the village schoolroom."


"BIRKWITH, a hamlet in the parish of Horton-in-Ribblesdale, wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N. of Settle."


"STUDFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of Horton-in-Ribblesdale, West Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Settle."


"THORNES, a hamlet in the parish of Horton-in-Ribblesdale, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Settle."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013