Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HUDDERSFIELD. Church dedication: ST. PETER. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 15,080 acres. Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. -Population, 31,041 *1; Church-room, 1,000 *2; Net value, £503. -This Church was given by Robert de Lacy, and also by Hugh de la Val, to Nostell Priory, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
Torre is silent as to any endowment. The first Vicar named in his close catalogue was instituted in 1316.
In 1503, a commission was granted to John, Bishop of Negropont, to consecrate the Church, then newly built.
Two Chantries are mentioned in the Valor Ecc.
Patron and impropriator, Sir J. Ramsden, bart.
In Pope Nicholas's Survey, the Church is valued at £9. 6s. 8d., and the Vicarage at £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £17. 13s. 2½d. per annum, after deducting for pension to the Vicar of Dewsbury £2. 13s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 304, it is stated : " Vicarage, £17 per annum ; impropriation, £60 per annum." Synodals, 3s., and Procurations, 7s. 6d.
" The Church is endowed only with the petty tithes. Augmented with 20s. per annum, for a commemoration sermon for Mr. John Tounley, jun. of this parish, late deceased." Signed, " T. Heald,Vic." Notitia Parochialis, No.423.
A decree in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term, 14th Eliz. as to tithes at Lindley, but which is unreported.
Inclosure Acts were passed 26th Geo. III. and 54th Geo. III. (Longwood and Deanhead.)
Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
29th June 1786, and 8th October 1819, additional burial-grounds consecrated.
18th July 1806, faculty to new pew the Church and erect galleries.
11th April 1812, confirmation of allotment of pews.
19th May 1814, faculty to rebuild the tower or spire.
12th May 1834, ditto to rebuild the Church and erect galleries.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1563. Defective from 1564 to 1566.
Dole land charity. Rent of 26a. 3r. 9p. of land, and interest of £83. 1s. 9d. in savings' bank, under the will of Thomas Armitage, dated 21st September 1647, left for the purchase of wool, to be given to poor people on Christmas-day evening. £5 of the money was added by the Rev. Thomas Clarke, formerly the Vicar. The distribution is now made in money on St. Thomas's day.
Robert Gibson's charity, by will, dated in 1638. £4. 2s. paid to the poor once in two years.
Mrs. White's charity. Rent-charge of £1 per annum.
Waterhouse's charity. £1 per annum. -Vide Halifax.
National School. The site was given by John Ramsden, Esq. for a school, as far back as 1681. -Vide 18th Report, Page 553.
A post town.
Torre's MS. page 763. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 200. Mon. Ang. vol. vi. pages 92. 96. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 347.
*1 Viz. Huddersfield, 19,035; Golcar, 3,143; Lindley, 2,306; Longwood, 2,111; part of Marsden, 642; Scammonden, 912; and Slaithwaite, 2,892. There are eight Chapels within this parish, viz. St. Paul's, Golcar, Paddock, Lindley, Husthwaite, Scammonden, Longwood, and Woodhouse. About 350 labourers are employed on the highways, and 50 in the quarries. The increase in Population since 1821 is 5,751.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 1,260.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.