Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: LINDLEY. Church dedication: ST. STEPHEN.
Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. -Population, 2,306, vide Huddersfield ; Chapel-room, 867 *1; Net value, £43.
Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.
Augmented in 1831 with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot; and in 1834 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 by subscriptions.
Built under the Parliamentary grant.
Architecture Gothic, with tower and steeple. First stone laid 11th June 1828. Cost, £2,615. 15s. 8d. No district has yet been assigned. -Vide 10th Report, page 3.
An Inclosure Act was passed 52nd Geo. III.
No glebe house.
No return as to registers.
Post town: Huddersfield.
*1 Of which 459 are free sittings. This is according to the Report of the Church Building Commissioners. The return in 1834 is only 800.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.