Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: LONGWOOD. Church dedication: SAINT MARK.
Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. -Population, 2,111, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 450 *1; Net value, £119.
Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.
The Chapel and Chapel-yard were consecrated 15th April 1798.
Augmented in 1799 with £200, in 1800 with £200, in 1801 with £200, and in 1802 with £200 -all by lot ; and in 1810 with £200, in 1811 with £1,000, in 1812 with £400, in 1813 with £200, and in 1823 with £600 -all from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 54th Geo. III.
No glebe house.
No return as to registers.
Free School, founded by William Walker, by will, dated 11th August 1731, for the education of forty boys and girls ; the boys to be taught reading, writing, and the two first rules of arithmetic ; the girls to be taught reading. The master to receive the Sacrament at least four times a year, according to the usage of the Church of England. Both boys and girls to be instructed in the Church Catechism, and catechised twice a year at Huddersfield Church. The master to use a convenient portion of the Common Prayer-book, the Confession being always a part, every morning and evening, and endeavour to improve the children in Christian knowledge. The children to be elected out of Longwood. Golcar, and Milnes Bridge ; the poorest and fatherless to be preferred. Income : rent of 61a. 3r. of land and three houses. -The Commissioners reported unfavourably of the state of the school, and the management of the fund; and recommended that John Dawson, Esq., the heir of the founder, should institute an inquiry.
Linley School. Site given by Thomas Thornhill, Esq. in 1706. No free scholars.
Thomas Firth's dole. 10s. per annum, given in 1623. -Vide 18th Report, page 554.
Post town: Huddersfield.
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 201.
*1 In 1818, returned at 700.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.