Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: SLAITHWAITE. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Agbrigg wapentake, U.D. -Population, 2,892, vide Huddersfield; Chapel-room, 1,500; Net value, £192.
Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield.
" Four miles from Huddersfield; way bad. No minister. No maintenance, save 4s. per annum. Recommended to be made a parish, and Linsett, in the parish of Almondbury, to be annexed thereto." -Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 305.
" An ancient Chapel, being much decayed, was repaired and enlarged at the charge of John Kay, Esq. and his tenants, and other neighbouring inhabitants, in 1593. No endowment, but contributions something better than £20 per annum. A gift of 4s. yearly, left by will of one - Eastwood, of the Binn, in Marsden. It is charged on the Binn land, and now paid by Samuel Haigh, Widow Kay, and James Hirst, the occupiers." - Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,349.
Augmented in 1718 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir Arthur King, Bart. and William Walker, Esq., and in 1776 with £200 and in 1792 with £200 -both by lot.
30th April, 1765, faculty to erect a gallery.
27th August 1787, faculty granted to rebuild the Chapel.
4th August 1789, the Chapel and Chapel-yard were consecrated.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1684. Defective in some parts, but entered at Huddersfield.
Free School, founded by the Rev. Robert Meek, by deed, 21st June 1721. Income: rent of 18a. 2r. 17p. of land, after paying 9s. per annum for bread and wine for the Sacrament on Whit Sunday. Twenty free scholars are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic. The Curate is declared by the deed not to be eligible as the school-master. -Vide 19th Report, page 548.
Post town: Huddersfield.
Not noticed by Torre.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.