The Golcar Church was formed in December, 1835. Mr. Thos. Sykes, a member of Salendine Nook, had bequeathed £100 for the erection of a chapel at Golcar, and Mr. Wm. Shaw presented the site. When opened in April, 1835, it had no debt. Rev. G. H. Davis—afterwards Dr. Davis, of the Religious Tract Society—was the first pastor (1835-7), and was followed by Revs. Wm. Colcroft (1837-43); Joseph Green (1843-4); John Ash (1845-6); John Whitaker (1847-52); Edward Franklin (1852-8); Henry Watts (1858-65); Thomas Bury (1866-81); Wm. Gay (1882-1908); G. Evans, B.A. (1909--). The first chapel did good service for thirty-four years, when a larger sanctuary became an imperative necessity.
The present building, seating 1200, was opened in August, 1869, having cost with its furnishing £5000. The old chapel was then converted into school accommodation. In the jubilee year a renovation scheme was carried out, and a large addition of land secured to the graveyard. Still continuing to expand, a new school was erected on the site of the old chapel at an outlay of £2736, which was paid in about five years. That this did not impoverish the Church is seen by the fact that Golcar raised £1000 for the Twentieth Century Fund. In 1901, the purchase of an organ, and improvements to the chapel interior, cost nearly £2000.
There is now at Golcar freehold property and premises covering nearly three acres; they have cost more than £13,000, and the whole is unencumbered by debt. In 1905, fearing that threatened building operations might be to the Church's disadvantage, a large space in front of the chapel property was purchased and laid out in ornamental grounds, forming a park-like approach to the chapel. Golcar has sent three of her number into the ministry—Revs. A. Walker (Bradford); Joseph Gay (London); George Hirst (London); and she continues to support a mission cause at Ley Moor.