Hide

GOLCAR: Golcar Sunny Bank Baptist Church History up to 1912.

hide
Hide
Hide

GOLCAR, SUNNY BANK BAPTIST CHURCH

The Sunny Bank Church, Golcar, is the outcome of a secession of thirty members from Pole Moor, owing to their objection to the use of fermented wine at the Lord's Table. They first held services in a cottage at Hart's Hill, in January, 1883, but in the following spring occupied a carpenter's shop, using the adjoining cottage for school premises. On March 13th, 1889, they opened their new chapel, upon which they had spent £1200, and in a short time dealt successfully with the debt. The Church was, from 1889 to 1905, under the pastoral care of Rev. James Evans, but since his removal has been supplied by the lay preachers, to whom it acknowledges a great indebtedness.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley