Hide

HUDDERSFIELD: Huddersfield-George Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

HUDDERSFIELD-GEORGE STREET.
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

This church owes its origin to the labours of the Rev. J. H. Rutherford, and other ministers of the Evangelical Union of Scotland; and though Independent in its principles, is not formally connected with the Congregational churches of the town or Riding.

The pastors have been-

  • Rev. S. CHISHOLM (Glasgow E. U.), from Scotland. He removed to Chapel Street, Salford.
  • Rev. R. STAINTON, from Windermere. He removed to Garden Street, Sheffield.
  • Rev. W. HALLIDAY (Edin. Un.) occupied the pulpit for a few months in 1866.
  • 1868. Rev. D. BLACK, from Middlesborough, has recently accepted a call to the pastorate.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.