HUDDERSFIELD: Huddersfield-Hill-House Congregational Church History up to 1868.



This new church owes its origin to no division or misunderstanding in the old churches, but to a pure desire to extend religion in this populous suburb, where there was no place of worship. The late W. Willans, Esq., J.P., commenced the movement with earnest advocacy and liberal contribution, but died before the foundation-stone was laid. The churches of Highfield and Ramsden Street jointly undertook the work, and by their cordial and liberal support, the chapel was opened, Feb., 1865, free of debt. Rev. T. Jones, Bedford Chapel, London, preached on the occasion. In 1867, large and elegant school premises in the same style of architecture were attached to the chapel.

The pastors have been-

  • Oct. 1865. Rev. W. W. C HAFFEY (Cheshunt Coll.). After entering on his ministry with much promise of success, his health failed, and consumption necessitated his resignation May 31, 1866. Ob. at Chard, his native place, Aug. 21, Xt. 29.
  • 1866. Rev. W. BRADEN (Cheshunt Coll.), from St Alban's. His recognition took place Jan. 15, 1867. He is the present minister (in 1868).

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.