"HUNSINGORE, a parish in the Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 4½ miles N.E. of Wetherby, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Nidd. The parish contains the townships of Cattal-Magna and Walshford-with-Great-Ribston. The ancient mansion of the Goodricke family, to whom the manor belonged, was destroyed during the parliamentary war in the reign of Charles I. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is partly covered with ivy, and is a stone structure with a square tower containing a clock and two bells. There is a National school, supported by Joseph Dent, Esq., and his tenants."
"CATTAL, a township in the parish of Hunsingore, wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the W. of York. It is a station on the York, Knaresborough, and High Harrogate branch of the North-Eastern railway."
"GREAT RIBSTON, (with WALSHFORD), a township in the parish of Hunsingore, West Riding county York, 3 miles W. of Hunsingore, and 3 N. of Wetherby. It is situated on a bend of the river Nidd, and includes the hamlets of Great Ribston and Walshford, both situated on the N. bank of the river. The apple called from this place the "Ribston pippin," was first brought here from France, and the original tree continued to flourish till 1840. The principal residence is Ribston Hall, which has remains of a Knights Templars' preceptory, founded by Robert Lord Ross, and subsequently granted to the Knights Hospitallers. At the Dissolution, its revenue was valued at £265 9s. 6d., and the site was given to the Brandons, from whom it passed to the Goodricke family. In connection with the hall is a chapel, dedicated to St. Andrew, and containing monuments of the Goodrickes, who settled here in 1542. In the cemetery attached is the sepulchral monument, with an inscription to the standard-bearer of the 9th Roman legion, which was found at York in 1688. The whole of this property was purchased by Joseph Dent in 1840."
"LITTLE RIBTON, a township in the parishes of Spofforth and Hunsingore, West Riding county York, half a mile W. of Great Ribston, and 3 N.W. of Wetherby. The township, which is of small extent and wholly agricultural, is mostly the property of the Earl of Harewood and Joseph Dent, Esq."
"WALSHFORD, a township in the parish of Hunsingore, upper division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Wetherby. It is situated on the river Nidd, and is joined with Great Ribston."