Hide

ILKLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"ILKLEY, a parish comprising the townships of Middleton with Stockhill, and Nesfield with Langbar, in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, and the township of Ilkley in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, and containing 911 inhabitants, of which number, 496 are in the township of Ilkley, 5 miles W.N.W. from Otley. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king s books at £7. 13. 9., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant. L. W. Hartley, Esq. was patron in 1813. The church is dedicated to AH Saints: in the church-yard are three Saxon crosses; This place is much frequented in the summer, for the benefit of a cold bath, which is supplied from a spring issuing out of a neighbouring hill. Here is a free school, endowed with a rent-charge arising from a gift of £100, by- Marshall, in the reign of James I., "and a bequest of £200 by Reginald Heber, in 1696. The schoolroom is a very old building, and about forty children are instructed. Ilkley is supposed to have been the Olicana of the Romans; here is a Roman fortress, with three sides entire; and at Middleton Lodge is an altar to Verbeia, the Nymph of the Wharf; there are also three summer camps and outposts, called Castleburg, Counterhill, and Woofa Bank."


"LANGBAR, a township, joint with Nesfield, in that part of the parish of ILKLEY, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles E. from Skipton. The population is returned with Nesfield. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"MIDDLETON, a township, joint with Stockhill in that part of the parish of ILKLEY, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.N.W. from Otley, containing, with Stockhill, 205 inhabitants."


"NESFIELD, a township, joint with Langbar, in that part of the parish of ILKLEY, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.N.W. from Otley, containing, with Langbar, 210 inhabitants."


"STOCKHILL, a township, joint with Middleton, in that part of the parish of ILKLEY, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Otley. The population is returned with Middleton."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]