Hide

ILKLEY: Ilkley Baptist Church History up to 1912.

hide
Hide
Hide

ILKLEY BAPTIST CHURCH

The Ilkley Church is a child of the Yorkshire Association, by whom it has been most liberally supported since its inauguration in February, 1899. Until that year the Baptists had no cause in Wharfedale. After a few months of casual ministrations, the Rev. W. H. Ibberson took the oversight of the Church, which was then worshipping in an iron chapel belonging to the Ilkley College. The need of a permanent structure soon became pressing, and was fervently urged by Mr. Ibberson. As a result the sum of £1000 was received for the site, together with a considerable sum towards the new building. The total cost of the scheme was £4000; the opening sermons were preached in the new chapel in February, 1903. Mr. Ibberson having resigned in January, 1904, the Rev. A. Nightingale was appointed pastor in July of the same year. After a successful course of five years he removed to Todmorden, and, after a period of waiting, the Rev. Robert Wood, of Hull, accepted the call of the Church in July, 1910.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley