Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Ilkley:

hide
Hide
Hide


"AUSBY, (or Austby) in the township of Nesfield with Langbar, and parish of Ilkley; 7 miles NW. of Otley, 9 from Skipton."


"BEN RHYDDING, a village and hydropathic establishment in the parish of Ilkley, with railway station, 4 miles W. of Otley and 12 miles NW of Leeds; P.O. The hydropathic is 1.5 miles E. of the village, and is surrounded by beautiful grounds. [From Bartholomew's Gazetteer, 1887]"


"CLAY HILL, a farm-house in the township of Middleton, and parish of Ilkley; 8 miles from Otley and Skipton."


"HANGING STONES, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ilkley; 4 miles W. of Otley, 8 from Bradford."


"HOLLING HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Ilkley; 8 miles from Skipton and Otley."


"LANGBAR, in the township of Nesfield with Langbar, and parish of Ilkley, lower-division of Claro; 7½ miles E. of Skipton, 8½ from Otley. Pop. included in Nesfield."


"MIDDLETON, (and Middleton-moor houses) in the parish of Ilkley, upper-division of Claro; (Middleton Lodge, the seat of William Middleton, Esq.) 6½ miles NW. of Otley, 9 from Skipton. Pop. 205."


"MOOR HOUSES, in the township of Middleton, and parish of Ilkley; 7 miles from Otley. Four or five houses."


"MYDDLETON LODGE, (or Stubham Lodge), a farm-house in the township of Middleton, and parish of Ilkley; 7 miles from Otley, 9 from Skipton."


"NESFIELD, in the township of Nesfield with Langbar, and parish of Ilkley, upper-division of Claro; 6 miles NW. of Otley, 5 from Skipton. Pop. including Langbar, 210.

At Nesfield, Robert, the son of Nigel Plumpton, who died 55 Henry III. obtained a license to have a Chapel in his Manor House of Nesfield, on condition of offering annually a pound of Frankincense on the high altar of the parish church of Ilkley."


"RAMSGILL, 2 farm-houses in the township and parish of Ilkley, upper division of Skyrack; 5 miles from Otley, 7 from Bingley."


"STOCKHILL, in the parish of Ilkley, wapentake of Claro; 6½ miles NW. of Otley. Population included with Middleton."


"WHEATLEY, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ilkley; 5 miles W. of Otley, 10½ from Skipton."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]