Hide

Keighley

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"KEIGHLEY, a market and parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 4 miles from Bingley, 10 from Bradford and Skipton, 12 from Otley and Halifax, 12¾ from Colne, (Lanc.) 40 from York, 209 from London. Market, Wednesday. Fairs, May 8, for horned cattle and horses; 9 and 10, for pedlary ware, November 7, for horned cattle, horses, and sheep; and 8 and 9, for pedlary ware. Principal Inns, Devonshire Arms, and Kings Arms. Pop. 9,223. The Church is a rectory; dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value, £21. 0s. 7½d. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire." (There is further information for Keighley).

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Braithwaite
  • Eastwood House
  • Exley Head
  • Fell Lane
  • Hare Hills
  • Hollins
  • Holme Houses
  • Ingrow
  • Lane End
  • Laverack Hall
  • Laycock
  • Newsholme
  • Oakworth
  • Thwaites
  • Utley
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

  • A list of the inmates, etc. in the Keighley Union Workhouse & Infirmary Holycroft & Fell Lane, Keighley, 1891 census, transcribed by Jan Perkins.
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Description and Travel

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

History

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE061413 (Lat/Lon: 53.867877, -1.908721), Keighley which are provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Newspapers

  • A list of the inmates, etc. in the Keighley Union Workhouse & Infirmary Holycroft & Fell Lane, Keighley, 1891 census, transcribed by Jan Perkins.
topup

Societies