Hide

KELLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"KELLINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 6½ miles from Pontefract, its post town, and 1 from the Whitley railway station. It is situated on the river Aire, and contains the townships of Kellington, Whitley, and Beaghall; also the hamlets of High and Low Eggbrough. The parish is noted for its superior breed of sheep and short-horned cattle, also the quality of its barley for malting purposes. The soil is a light sandy loam. A canal passes through the parish to Goole. The village, which is of considerable antiquity, at one time belonged to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £300, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Edmund, is an ancient structure, with a low, square, western tower containing three bells. In the churchyard is an ancient stone with a cross rudely sculptured. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Earl Cathcart is the principal landowner."


"BEAGHALL, (or Beal), a township in the parish of Kellington, and wapentake of Osgoldcross in the West Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the W. of Snaith. It has charitable endowments to the value of £5 per annum."


"EGGBOROUGH, a township in the parish of Kellington, lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 5 miles W. of Snaith. It is situated on the Goule canal, and includes the hamlets of High and Low Eggborough and Hut Green. There is a mill for bone crushing and one for grinding corn. The Wesleyans have a chapel. A pleasure fair is held on Whit-Monday."


"HUT GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Eggbrough, parish of Kellington, West Riding county York, 5 miles W. of Snaith. It is situated near the Goule canal."


"KELLINGLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Kellington, lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, near the Whilley railway station, and 6 miles S. W. of Selby. It is situated near the river Aire."


"ROWALL, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kellington, Lower Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Snaith, and 6 S.W. of Selby, near the river Aire."


"WHITLEY, a township in the parish of Kellington, lower division of Osgoldcross wapentake, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Snaith. At Whitley Bridge is a station on the Goole branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. It is situated on the Goole canal, near the river Aire."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013