The Ancient Parish of KETTLEWELL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KETTLEWELL, a market and parish-town, in the east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 1½ miles N. of Skipton, 14 miles from Hawes, 14½ from Askrigg, 15 from Middleham and Settle, 16 from Skipton, Pateley Bridge, and Leyburn, 48 from York, 233 from London. Market, Thursday. Fairs, July 6, for pedlary ware; Sept. 2, and Oct. 23, for sheep. Principal Inns, Mason's Arms, Blue Bell, Kings Arms, and Race Horses. Pop. including Starbotton, 663. The Church, rebuilt in 1820, is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Craven, value, ~£5. p.r. £61. 0s. 9d. Patron, The Rev. George Coates.
The Church at Kettlewell which was of high antiquity, probably not later than Henry I. has been pulled down, and a new one in 1820, erected on its site, on the same plan, only a few yards longer.
Kettlewell is situated at the foot of a very steep hill, in a narrow part of Wharfedale, and although the village is large, the buildings are very mean. In the year 1686, this town and Starbotton were nearly destroyed by a violent flood. The situation of these towns is under a large hill, from whence the rain descended with great violence for one hour and a half at the same time the hill on one side opening, and casting up water to a prodigious height, demolished several houses, and filled others with gravel to the chamber windows; the affrighted inhabitants fled for their lives, and the loss was computed at many thousand pounds. --Magna Brit."
"STARBOTTON, in the parish of Kettlewell, liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles N. of Kettlewell, 15 from Leyburn, 17 from Settle. Pop. included in Kettlewell."
- Transcript of the entry for Kettlewell in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kettlewell to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD969723 (Lat/Lon: 54.146518, -2.048954), Kettlewell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.