KETTLEWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"KETTLEWELL, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 16 miles N.E. from Settle, containing, with the township of Starbotton, 663 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. R. Tennant, Esq. was patron in 1786. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has lately received an addition of one hundred and fourteen sittings, of which seventy-one are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £ 100 towards defraying the expense. A school was built by Solomon Swale, and endowed with property for its repair; three children are instructed by means of a rent-charge of 30s. per annum, the donor of which is unknown."
"STARBOTTON, a township in the parish of KETTLEWELL, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 17 miles N.N.E. from Settle. The population is returned with the parish."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]