"KETTLEWELL, a parish in the E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 16 miles N. of Skipton, its post town. It is situated on the river Wharfe, between the Great Whernside and Hardflask mountains, and contains the township of Starbottom. It was nearly inundated by the overflow of the river in 1686. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the lead mines and in the smelting-works. The land is chiefly pasture, meadow, and moorland, and is used for grazing purposes. Coal is abundant in the mountains. The town, which is small and irregularly built, is situated in a deep valley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern structure rebuilt in 1820 on the site of an older one, and has a square tower. In the interior is an ancient font bearing date 1100, and several mural monuments. A large portion of the register has been lost. The parochial charities produce £7 per annum, the endowment of Swale's school for boys and girls. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There is a literary and scientific institution. There is a market for corn on Thursdays. Fairs are held on the 6th July, 2nd September, and 23rd October for cattle.'"
"STARBOTTON, a township in the parish of Kettlewell, E. division of Staincliffe wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Kettlewell. The village, which is small and irregularly built, is situated on the river Wharfe, and is chiefly agricultural. There are lead mines. Divine service is performed in the schoolroom by the vicar."