Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: KILDWICK. Church dedication: SAINT ANDREW. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 25,990 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. Population, 9,926 *1; Church-room, 1,100; Net value, £357. -This Church was appropriated by Walter Gray, Archbishop of York, to Bolton Abbey, to which it appears to have been given by Cicily de Rumely, and a Vicarage ordained in 1321; and a new ordination was made in 1455.
At the Dissolution, it was given to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, who are the present patrons and impropriators.
In Pope Nicholas's first taxation, the Church is valued at £32, and in the new taxation at £12. The Vicarage is valued in the King's books at £10. 8s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 196, at £30 per annum.
A Chantry is mentioned in the Valor Ecc.
Augmented in 1718, by the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Earl of Thanet.
Inclosure Acts were passed 8th Geo. III. (Connonley); 13th Geo. III. (Kildwick ; 18th Geo. III. (Chisburn Moor) ; 25th Geo. III. (Kildwick); 27th Geo. (Steeton and Eastburn) ; 29th Geo. III. (Bradley); 46th Geo. III. (Kildwick) ; and 55th Geo. III. (Sutton).
2nd July 1823, faculty to erect a gallery.
Dr. Whitaker gives a list of the Vicars.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1575.
The winter silver, being sundry rents-charge, amounting together to £14. 6s. per annum. The money is distributed in certain established proportions, among poor people of the different townships. The rents-charge appear to have been purchased in 1620, 1653, and 1656, but it is not known how the purchase-money was acquired, save that John Pycroft, temp. Edw. VI. gave £80 to the Vicar and churchwardens, for the purpose of purchasing kine, the use of which was to be let to the poor parishioners at a certain rate.
Margaret Currer's gift, by will, dated 8th July 1761. Interest of £100 for the purchase of Bibles and Books of Common Prayer, for distribution among poor children.
Hugh Smith's charity, by deed, dated 12th February 1665. Rent of 14a. 2r. 9p. of land, for educating poor boys and girls. Five boys and five girls are taught. The Commissioners thought the number should be increased.
TOWNSHIP OF FARNHILL CUM CONNONLET. Poor's money. Interest of £20, being sundry small benefactions to the poor.
TOWNSHIP OF GLASBURN. William Spencer's dole. 6s. 8d. per annum to the poor. -Vide 13th Report, page 635.
Post town: Skipton.
Torre's MS., page 537. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 122. 344. and 349. Whitaker's Craven, page 160.
*1 Both Bradleys, 614; Cowling, 2,249; Farnhill with Connonley, 1,567 ; Glusburn, 987; Kildwick, 190; Silsden. 2,137; Steeton with Eastburn, 859; Stirton with Thorlby, 170; and Sutton, 1,153. In 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at 7.619.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.