KILDWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"KILDWICK, is a small township, in the parish of its name, which is extensive and in the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, West Riding ; about 5 miles from Keighley, and the like distance from Skipton. The Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through the township. The village is destitute of manufacturing establishments, but in the neighbouring townships the stuff trade prevails to some extent. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is called the ' long Church of Craven,' from its great length. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the dean and canons of Christ Church, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. John Pering.
The parish contained by the retums to government in 1821, 8,605 inhabitants, and by those in 1831, 9,926 ; the population of the township in 1831, was only 190. Glusburn is a township, in the parish of Kildwick, about one mile from that village. The village is small and irregularly built : the inhabitants are chiefly employed in weaving ; and at Cross Hills, a hamlet in this township, the manufacture of stuffs is carried on. Two methodist chapels are in the hamlet. Glusburn township contained, at the last census, 987 persons. Farnhill is a joint township with Cononley, in the parish of Kildwick, from which it is only separated by a small rivulet. Population, at the government census taken in 1831, 1,567.
Silsden is a chapelry, in the parish of Kildwick, about 4 miles from Keighley. The making of nails is carried on here to a considerable extent, employing many hands ; and the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes through the village. The church, (or chapel of ease to Kildwick) dedicated to St. James, was rebuilt in 1815, and is a handsome Gothic edifice, with a fine square tower ; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the manorial court of Silsden, in the patronage of the Earl of Thanet : the Rev. Richard Heeles is the present curate. The chapelry contained, by the returns in 1821, 1,904 inhabitants, and at the last census, 2,137."
"STEETON, is a joint chapelry with Eastburn, in the parish of Kildwick, three miles from Keighley ; situated on the road leading to Kendal. The manufacture of stuffs is carried on here. A chapel for Wesleyan methodists is in the chapelry. Population in 1831, 859."
"SUTTON, is a chapelry, in the parish of Kildwick, one mile from that village. Stuffs and cotton goods are manufactured here. The only place of worship is a chapel for baptists. The chapelry contained, at the last census, 1,153 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]