Area, 3,400 acres. Skirack wapentake, L.D. -Population, 1,901 *1; Church-room, 1,800 *2; Net value, £329. -This Church was appropriated to the Priory of Pontefract by Robert de Lacy. The impropriators are charged with 6s. 8d. per annum to the Dean and Chapter, and 6s. 8d. to the poor of the parish. -Torre's MS. page 235.
A Vicarage was ordained in 1410. It is remarkable as mentioning the tithe of coals.
The Vicar is charged with one-third of the expense of new building and repairing the chancel.
Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars. At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown.
Impropriator, G. W. Medhurst, Esq. A Chantry is named in the Valor. Eccl.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation at £16. 13s. 4d. In the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £5. 7s. per annum. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 345, at £30 per annum. Synodals, 4s. Procurations, 7s. 6d.
The Vicarage was augmented in 1737 with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from Lady Elizabeth Hastings and the Rev. William Wood.
There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Hilary Term, 11th Wm. III. as to tithes.
Inclosure Acts were passed in the 31st Geo. III. for Kippax, and 43d Geo. III. for Allerton Bywater.
There is a glebe house fit for residence.
Thomas Bland, of Kippax, knight, made his will, proved 10th June 1613, and willed that there should be built at Kippax an almshouse, to continue for ever, wherein there shall be four poor old men appointed by his heirs, and for their maintenance he gave yearly 20 marks rent out of his lands in Kippax and Allerton.
The Register Books commence in 1539. There is a chasm from 1644 to 1653.
Fee school, founded by the Rev. George Goldsmith, 36th Henry VIII. Endowment schoolhouse, garden, garth, three cottages, and seven acres of land. Eight free scholars, in reading, writing, and accounts.
Duffield and Scholes's dole. £1. 1s. per annum, to poor widows.
Joseph Fether's gift, in 1717. £5 per annum is paid out of the poor-rate. (the principal sum of £100 having been expended in building a poor-house,) and given in bread weekly.
George Scholes's gift, in 1717. House for the poor, fallen to decay. Garden let for £5 per annum. -Vid. 15th Report, page 659.
Post town: Ferrybridge.
Vid. Torre's MS. page 237. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 99. Wood's MS. (Bodleian) No. 5,101. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 144.
*1 Viz. In 1831, Allerton Bywater, 375; Kippax, 1,128; Great and Little Preston, 398. In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,970.
*2 According to the return in 1818. No return in 1834.