KIPPAX: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KIPPAX, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York, 8 miles E. of Leeds, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Pontefract. It is situated on the river Aire, and near the Selby railway. It contains the townships of Allerton-Bywater and Great and Little Preston. It is believed to have derived its name from a keep or castle erected by the Saxons, near which stood a memorable ash, hence its name Chepesch, or "keepash," now Kippax. The inhabitants are principally employed in the collieries. The village, which is considerable, is built on the summit and slopes of a gentle acclivity rising from the river towards the N. The tithes were commuted for land under Enclosure Acts in 1791 and 1805. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £329, in the patronage of the lord chancellor, The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with tower and spire containing three bells. The register commences in 1534. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum, beside some cottages for the poor. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There is a free school for boys, also an infant school. The principal residences are Kippax Park and Kippax Hall. Mrs. Midhurst is lady of the manor."
"ALLERTON BYWATER, a township in the parish of Kippax, lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N. W. of Pontefract. It is near the North Midland railway, and the river Aire flows through it. The township contains 870 acres."
"ASTLEY, a hamlet in the parishes of Kippax and Swillington, in the wapentake of Lower Skyrack, West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles from Leeds."
"GREAT PRESTON, (and Little Preston), a township in the parish of Kippax, lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Wakefield, and 8 S.E. of Leeds. The township includes the hamlet of Astley. There are several collieries in the immediate vicinity., Preston Hall, the ancient seat of the Lowther family, was purchased for the union workhouse."
"LEDSTONE, a township in the parishes of Ledsham and Kippax, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, West Riding county York, 4 miles W. of the Milford Junction station on the Leeds and Selby railway, and 6 N. of Pontefract. The York and North Midland railway passes through the township. It is a small agricultural village, situated about 1 mile N. of the river Aire, and half a mile W. of the old N. road. The surface is varied and the land extremely fertile. Ledstone Hall is situated in the midst of a wooded park enclosed within a stone wall. It was formerly the seat of the Witham family, and afterwards of Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford. Kippax Park is another seat. The Rev. Charles Wheler is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013