The Ancient Parish of KIRK BRAMWITH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRK BRAMWITH, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles from Doncaster, 7 from Thorne, 25 from York. Pop. 252. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £12. 18s. 4d. Patron, the King, as Duke of Lancaster."
"BRAITHWAITE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kirk Bramwith, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles from Doncaster."
"KIRKHOUSE GREEN, a few scattered houses in the township and parish of Kirk Bramwith, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles W. of Thorne."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Kirk Bramwith.
- St. Mary's Church, Kirk Bramwith. I wondered why Bill had such problems with his photograph above and so I went to see for myself. This photo is the same view as Bill's.
- St. Mary's Church, Kirk Bramwith. You cannot get a photo. of this church from the road for the trees (on the left of this photo). Would you rather see the trees or the church?
- The trees at St. Mary's Church, Kirk Bramwith. Would you plant trees this close to your house? Where do you suppose the roots are going?
- The former Wesleyan Chapel, Braithwaite, built in 1877.
- Transcript of the entry for Kirk Bramwith in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirk Bramwith.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirk Bramwith to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE619116 (Lat/Lon: 53.597325, -1.066168), Kirk Bramwith which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.