The Ancient Parish of KIRK HAMMERTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRK HAMMERTON, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; (the seat of William Thompson, Esq.) 6 miles NE. of Wetherby, 8 from Boroughbridge and Knaresborough, 10 from York. Pop. 409. The Church, peculiar is a vicarage, dedicated to St. John the Baptist (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, p.r. !£134. 10s. In consequence of a reduction, by loss of Land, the value is only £65. Patron, the Rev. William Metcalfe, the present incumbent."
"SKIP BRIDGE, an Inn, in the township of Wilstrop, and parish of Kirk Hammerton; 8½ miles SE. of Boroughbridge and York."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Transcript of the entry for Kirk Hammerton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirk Hammerton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE465556 (Lat/Lon: 53.994354, -1.292214), Kirk Hammerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in St. John's Churchyard.
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.