Hide

Kirk Hammerton, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

KIRK HAMMERTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRK HAMMERTON, a parish partly in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding, and comprising the township of Wilstrop, within the ainsty of the city of YORK, East riding, of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.S.E. from Aldborough, containing 504 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, -ill the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. W. Metcalfe. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a place -of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of linen is carried on here."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]