KIRK SANDAL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"KIRK SANDAL, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of STRAFFORTH-and-TICKHILL, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.E. from Doncaster, containing 192 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 0. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is a cruciform structure, with a tower rising from the intersection: it contains a curious monument to the memory of John Rokeby a native of this place, and Archbishop of Dublin, who directed his body to be buried here, and his heart and bowels at Halifax. A free school was founded, in 1626, by Robert Wood, and endowed with a messuage and land, of the annual value of £60, which is enjoyed by the master, who at his own cost has lately rebuilt the school-house; he receives annually £15 from another source, and educates about forty children."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]