The Ancient Parish of KIRK SMEATON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRK SMEATON, a parish-town, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles SE. of Pontefract and Ferrybridge, 10 from Doncaster, 14 from Wakefield, 27 from York. Pop. 321. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £10. 1s. 0½d. Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam."
"BARNSDALE HOUSE, (or Forelorn Hope Farm) a farm-house in the township and parish of Kirk Smeaton; 5 miles SE. of Pontefract and Ferrybridge."
"WENTBRIDGE, in the townships of Kirk Smeaton, Darrington, and Thorpe Audlin, and parishes of Kirk Smeaton, Badsworth, and Darrington, wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract, 4½ miles SE. of Pontefract and Ferrybridge, 10½ from Doncaster."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Peter's Church, Kirk Smeaton (view 1). (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Peter's Church, Kirk Smeaton (view 2). (The Church's website is here.)
- The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Wentbridge. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Wentbridge.
- Transcript of the entry for Kirk Smeaton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirk Smeaton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirk Smeaton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE518165 (Lat/Lon: 53.642456, -1.217948), Kirk Smeaton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.