Agbrigg wapentake, U. D. -Population, 10,716, vide Kirkburton; Chapel-room, 1,150; Net value, £110.
Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton.
" No endowment ; one Mr. Samuel Appleyard is preacher There, and stands at the benevolence of the people." Recommended to be made a parish. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 300.
It appears from Archbishop Sharp's MS. that the Curate has been paid by small pew-rents, from the first settlement of the Chapel.
A brief was granted in 1777 for this Church.
Augmented in 1726 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Joseph Kaye and others; and, in 1754, with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. John Harrop.
12th March 1803, faculty granted to enlarge the Chapel.
7th November 1828, ditto to erect an organ.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books, for baptisms and burials, commence in 1797. Marriages are celebrated at Kirkburton.
Luke Wilson's charity, by will, dated 1st September 1713. Rent-charges of £5 per annum to the poor.
Philip Bray's charity, by will, dated in 1725. Interest of £10 to the poor at Hepworth.
Philip Bray's charity. Annuity of 20s. under will, dated 16th January 1764, to the poor of Fulstone.
Hepworth charity. Rent-charge of £5 to the poor of Hepworth, by deed, dated 23rd September 1765, paid by Uriah Fisher, the heir of the last surviving trustee. The Commissioners advise the appointment of new trustees.
School, founded by the will of Richard Charlesworth, dated 5th January 1649, and augmented by Philip Bray with £5 per annum. The land consists of 8a. 3r. There are only five free scholars.
Martha Jackson's charity. 10s. per annum, by deed, in 1733. This was paid in 1786 by a person of the name of Joshua Cuttil. Not now paid.
Joshua Marsden's gift, in 1751. Interest of £20. This sum in 1786 was in the hands of Mr. J. Bray. No interest is now paid.
Wooldale School. Built, says the Commissioners, about 50 years ago, by means of a legacy and subscriptions. No free scholars. -Vide 18th Report, page 557.
Post town: Huddersfield.
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 196.