Area, 6,840 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 413 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £115.
Patron, the Vicar of Kirkby Malzeard. The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1663 ; defective 1715-1727.
15th November, 1484, a commission issued to the Bishop of Dromore to consecrate this Chapel, the inhabitants agreeing to observe all customs heretofore used, and also contribute towards the repairs and other burdens of the Mother Church.
William Craven's charity, by will, 19th July 1680. rent charge of £2. 6s. per annum.
The Rev. Dr. William Craven's charity, by deed, 24th August 1812. Dividends on £200 five per cents. to be distributed by the Minister and churchwardens.
Christ. Pailey's gift. Interest of £10, in the hands of the Minister for the time being.
Roger Baines's gift. 10s. per annum. W. Swithenbank's gift. rent charge of £1. 6s. 8d. per annum.
Margaret Spence's gift. Interest of £13. 6s. 8d.; principal in the hands of the parish.
Homer's rent charge, £2 per annum. Topham's gift, 10s. per annum. Longside dole, £1. 4s. per annum.
Vide 4th Report, page 424.
School. Founded by Simon Horner, Esq., by deed, 9th December 1809, for teaching a competent number of the children of the township of Stonebeck Up, reading, writing, and arithmetic, to attend the Chapel every Sunday, and to be taught the Catechism. Endowment ; £20 per annum.
Chapelry of Middlesmore School. -Founded by John Lazenby, by will, 2nd April 1743, for ten poor boys to be taught reading, writing, vulgar arithmetic, and the principles of religion. Endowment ; house and six acres of land. -Vide 3rd Report, page 460.
Torre's MS., page 942. Whitaker's Richmondshire, pages 111. 115. 117.
*1 Returned in 1834, at 1,334.