GOUTHWAITE HALL, a farm-house in the township of Lower Stonebeck, and parish of Kirkby Malzeard; 3 miles NW. of Pateley Bridge.
In this Hall was born, in 1731, William Craven, D.D. and educated at St. John's College, Cambridge. He took his Batchelor's Degree in 1753, and was fourth wrangler, as well as Chancellors Medallist. He succeeded to the Arabic professorship in 1770, and resigned in 1795. He was elected Master of his College in 1789; and died in 1815. Dr. Craven published "Sermons on the Evidence of a Future State, of Rewards and Punishments," 8vo. and "The Jewish and Christian Dispensations compared," 8vo. --Gent. Mag. --Whitaker's Craven.
In 1900, the original C17 building, Gouthwaite White Hall, was moved up from the valley during the building of Gouthwaite Reservoir and rebuilt as 2 houses (Gowthwaite White Hall and Gouthwaite Farmhouse).[Sheila Harris 2011]
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]